Who can apply for training?

To qualify for training with Nunavut Fisheries Training Consortium you must be 18 years of age or older and be a beneficiary of the Nunavut Land Claims Agreement.

Where is the training held?

Nunavut Fisheries Training Consortium strives to hold all courses in Nunavut, with most taking place in Iqaluit. If a course requires facilities not available in Nunavut, students will be sent out of territory to complete the program.

Do I need a high school diploma to qualify for training?

Basic literacy skills are required for all courses, but we do not require a high school diploma/GED certificate for our introductory courses. However, many advanced courses have entrance requirements that often include graduation form high school. If you wish to do upgrading before you take a course, we can help you make the arrangements.

Do I have to take one of the courses currently listed by the NFTC?

ᐋᒡᒐ. ᓇᓂᓯᒍᕕᑦ ᐃᖃᓗᓕᕆᓂᕐᒨᖓᔪᒥᒃ ᐃᓕᓐᓂᐊᕐᕈᑎᒥᒃ ᐃᓕᓐᓂᐊᕐᕈᒪᔭᓐᓂᒃ, ᐃᑲᔪᕈᓐᓇᖅᑐᒍᑦ ᐃᓕᓐᓂᒃ. ᐅᖄᓚᓗᑎᑦ ᐊᓪᓚᕕᒻᒧᑦ ᑐᑭᓯᑎᑕᐅᒃᑲᓂᕐᓂᐊᕐᕋᕕᑦ.

How long are the courses?

Courses vary in length from three weeks to three years. Call the office to find out more information on any of the courses NFTC offers.

How much do the courses cost?

Nunavut Fisheries Training Consortium covers all the costs involved in a course. This includes course fees, transportation from your home to the course and back again, accommodations and food. We also provide a small training allowance to cover incidental costs.

Who does the actual training?

Nunavut Fisheries Training Consortium is in a partnership with Nunavut Arctic College to provide the courses that NFTC sponsors. The instructors are mainly from the Marine Institute of Memorial University of Newfoundland.

How widely recognized is the training provided by NFTC?

All instructors are recognized by Transport Canada and programs meet Transport Canada requirements. Graduates from NFTC’s training programs meet national training requirements.

Can I take more than one course?

Yes. If you successfully complete a course with us, you are encouraged to come back and upgrade your skills through our programs. Some courses require time on the ships. Contact NFTC for more information.

When do courses start?

Courses start at various times of the year, but are generally held in the fall and winter. Keep checking the website for upcoming courses. NFTC also informs each community’s Hunters and Trappers Organization and the Nunavut Arctic College Adult Educator prior to the start of a course. You will also see ads in the paper or on the local cable channel.

How do I apply?

You can apply online. Or, ask your local Hunters and Trappers Organization and your Nunavut Arctic College Adult Educator for an application. If you are in Iqaluit, stop by our office at Building 208 (the Hunters and Trappers building, beside the museum).